This is Dundee's story of those that served in the First World War, and of the people left at home
- Date of enlistment:
- Place of enlistment: Dundee
- Service no: 170205
- Rank: Gunner
- Service Occupation:
- Regiment/Service: Royal Garrison Artillery
- Unit/Ship: 51st Siege Battery, 17th Brigade
- Place of Death: Heald Military Hospital
- Age at Death: 38
- Date of Death: 09.06.1918
- Burial Country: England
- Cemetery: Manchester Southern Cemetery
- Grave/Mem Ref no: G.RC.26.
- Date of Birth: 21.03.1880
- Place of Birth: Ballycatten, Timoleague, County Cork
- Address: 42 High St, Lochee, Dundee
- Occupation: Head Teacher, St Mary's School, Lochee, Dundee
Catherine Burke nee Staunton
Johanna, Tim, William, Patrick, Catherine & Mary.
Mary Agnes Burke, 42 High St, Lochee
More about Michael Burke
Michael died of Pneumonia following being Gassed.
Gunner Michael Burke, R.G.A., who died as the result of being gassed, was headmaster in St Mary’s R.C. School prior to joining in July last. He had been in France since October. Deceased, who hailed from County Cork, was 38 years of age. His widow resides at 42 High Street, Lochee.
Dundee Courier 11th June 1918
Additional information kindly supplied by Michael Caldwell and Annette Hickey
Can you tell us more about Michael Burke'? Some additional facts, a small story handed down through the family or perhaps a picture or an heirloom you can share online. Contact our curator...