This is Dundee's story of those that served in the First World War, and of the people left at home
- Date of enlistment:
- Place of enlistment: Edinburgh
- Service no: 24622
- Rank: Private
- Regiment/Service: Highland Light Infantry
- Unit/Ship: 12th Battalion
- Place of Death: France
- Age at Death: 19
- Date of Death: 10.06.1916
- Burial Country: France
- Cemetery: Vermelles British Cemetery
- Grave/Mem Ref no: III.D.13.
- Date of Birth:
- Place of Birth: Broughty Ferry
- Address: 17 Glebe Street, Dundee
- Occupation: Seagate Sawmills, Dundee
Mrs Chalmers, 17 Glebe St, Dundee
Alexander Chalmers, 17 Glebe St, Dundee
More about John Chalmers
John Chalmers 24622 Highland Light Infantry
DUNDEE LAD KILLED IN ACTION.
Mr Alexander Chalmers, 17 Glebe Street, Dundee, has received official information that his son, Private John Chalmers, has been killed in action.
Deceased was only 18 years of age, and prior to enlisting in August of last year was employed at Seagate Sawmills. An older brother, Alexander, is in the Cycle Corps.
Dundee Courier 5th July 1916
Additional information and image kindly supplied by Michael Caldwell
Can you tell us more about John Chalmers? Some additional facts, a small story handed down through the family or perhaps a picture or an heirloom you can share online. Contact our curator...