This is Dundee's story of those that served in the First World War, and of the people left at home
- Date of enlistment:
- Place of enlistment: Dundee
- Service no: 88905
- Rank: Sapper
- Regiment/Service: Royal Engineers
- Unit/Ship: 205th Field Company
- Place of Death: Belgium
- Age at Death:
- Date of Death: 20.10.1918
- Burial Country: Belgium
- Cemetery: Harlebeke New British Cemetery
- Grave/Mem Ref no: VII.D.9.
- Date of Birth:
- Place of Birth: Kinneff, Kincardineshire
- Address: 15 Lawrence St, Broughty Ferry
- Occupation: Tailor
Janet Cowie, 15 Lawrence St, Broughty Ferry
More about Frederick Cowie
Fred Cowie 88905 Royal Engineers
From news which has just reached Broughty Ferry, it transpires that Sapper Fred Cowie, R.E., whose wife resides in Lawrence Street, was killed by a shell. Sapper Cowie was the eldest son of Mr Fred Cowie, Bervie, and was in business as a tailor at Inchbare, when he enlisted three and a half years ago.
Dundee Courier 29th October 1918
Additional information kindly supplied by Michael Caldwell
Can you tell us more about Frederick Cowie? Some additional facts, a small story handed down through the family or perhaps a picture or an heirloom you can share online. Contact our curator...