This is Dundee's story of those that served in the First World War, and of the people left at home
Ernest William McNeil Duff
- Date of enlistment: March 1916
- Place of enlistment: Dundee
- Service no: 60562
- Rank: Lance Corporal
- Service Occupation:
- Regiment/Service: Machine Gun Corps
- Unit/Ship: 39th Battalion
- Place of Death: France
- Age at Death: 25
- Date of Death: 22.03.1918
- Burial Country: France
- Cemetery: Pozieres Memorial
- Grave/Mem Ref no: Panel 90 to 93
- Date of Birth:
- Place of Birth: Monifieth
- Address: Castleroy Lodge, Broughty Ferry
- Occupation: Upholsterer, Robertson & Card, Castle St, Dundee
Mrs James Duff, Castleroy Cottage, Broughty Ferry
More about Ernest William McNeil Duff
Ernest has no known grave but is remembered on the Pozieres Memorial. He was a former pupil of Grove Academy, Broughty Ferry and is remembered on the schools war memorial.
Broughty Soldier Killed.
Mrs Duff, Castleroy, Cottage, Broughty Ferry, was informed that her son, Lance Corporal E. W. Duff, M.G. Corps, was killed in action in France on 21stMarch. He first joined the Royal Scots in March, 1916, and had been previously wounded. Formerly he was an upholsterer with Messrs Robertson & Card, Castle Street, Dundee. He was a member of St Mary’s Church choir, Broughty Ferry.
Dundee Courier 10th April 1918
Additional information kindly supplied by Michael Caldwell
Can you tell us more about Ernest William McNeil Duff'? Some additional facts, a small story handed down through the family or perhaps a picture or an heirloom you can share online. Contact our curator...