This is Dundee's story of those that served in the First World War, and of the people left at home
- Date of enlistment:
- Place of enlistment: Dundee
- Service no: 24436
- Rank: Private
- Regiment/Service: Highland Light Infantry
- Unit/Ship: 1st/6th Battalion
- Place of Death: Israel/Palestine
- Age at Death: 21
- Date of Death: 24.11.1917
- Burial Country: Israel/Palestine
- Cemetery: Jerusalem War Cemetery
- Grave/Mem Ref no: C.61.
- Date of Birth:
- Place of Birth: Dundee
- Address: 2 Annfield Row, Dundee
- Occupation: Thomas Bell & Sons, Belmont Works, Dundee
Margaret Halkett, 2 Annfield Row, Dundee
Wallace Halkett, 2 Annfield Row, Dundee
More about James Halkett
James Halkett 24436 Highland Light Infantry
DUNDEE SOLDIER DIES OF WOUNDS.
Private James Halkett, H.L.I., whose name has four times appeared in the casualty lists, has died of wounds. Mr Wallace Halkett, 2 Annfield Row, Dundee, has been informed that his son died from wounds on 24th November. Deceased, who was 21 years of age, had seen much severe fighting, and had been three times wounded prior to the occasion on which he received his fatal injuries.
In civil life he was employed by Thomas Bell & Sons, Ltd., Belmont Works, Dundee.
Dundee Courier 14th December 1917
Additional information and image kindly supplied by Michael Caldwell
Can you tell us more about James Halkett? Some additional facts, a small story handed down through the family or perhaps a picture or an heirloom you can share online. Contact our curator...