This is Dundee's story of those that served in the First World War, and of the people left at home
- Date of enlistment: April 1916
- Place of enlistment: Dundee
- Service no: 141864
- Rank: Gunner
- Service Occupation:
- Regiment/Service: Royal Field Artillery
- Unit/Ship: 41st Brigade, 16th Battery
- Place of Death: France
- Age at Death: 21
- Date of Death: 25.07.1918
- Burial Country: France
- Cemetery: Bienvillers Military Cemetery
- Grave/Mem Ref no: XVIII.D.2.
- Date of Birth:
- Place of Birth: Alexandria, Dumbarton
- Address: 51 Dura St, Dundee
- Occupation: Dundee Waterproof Co, Lochee Rd, Dundee
Jane W. Hobkirk
William Hobkirk, 7 Balmore St, Dundee
More about William Hobkirk
William Hobkirk 141864 Royal Field Artillery
Gnr. Wm. Hobkirk, R.F.A., son of Mr and Mrs Hobkirk, 51 Dura St., killed. Gnr. Hobkirk joined the Army in April, 1916, and went to France in November of the same year. He was previously employed by the Dundee Waterproof Co., Lochee Rd.
Dundee People’s Journal 10th August 1918
William is believed to be the brother of Sapper Robert Hobkirk, WR/251242, 38th Miscellaneous Trades Company, Royal Engineers.
Additional information kindly supplied by Michael Caldwell
Can you tell us more about William Hobkirk'? Some additional facts, a small story handed down through the family or perhaps a picture or an heirloom you can share online. Contact our curator...