Great War Dundee
This is Dundee's story of those that served in the First World War, and of the people left at home
- Date of enlistment: January 1915
- Place of enlistment: Dundee
- Service no: 200903
- Rank: Private
- Service Occupation:
- Awards: Military Medal
- Regiment/Service: Black Watch
- Unit/Ship: 4th/5th Battalion
- Place of Death: Swaben Redoubt
- Age at Death: 22
- Date of Death: 14/10/1916
- Burial Country: France
- Cemetery: Mill Road Cemetery, Thiepval
- Grave/Mem Ref no: XIV. A. 2.
- Date of Birth: 18/04/1894
- Place of Birth: Dundee
- Address: 19 Rosebank Street, Dundee
- Occupation: Mill Worker
Annie Jones (née Robertson), 299 Hilltown, Dundee.
Thomas Jones, 299 Hilltown, Dundee.
More about Douglas Jones
Douglas was the brother of Pte Thomas Jones S/40147, 1st Battalion, Black Watch, who was killed in action 22.09.1916.
Douglas Jones 200903 Black Watch
Private D. Jones, whose mother resides at 19 Rosebank Street, Dundee, is another young Dundee Military Medallist. He joined the Black Watch about the beginning of January of 1915, and has been at the front for nearly 18 months. He is 22 years of age, and previously a millworker. A brother has been recently reported wounded.
Dundee Courier 13th October 1916
Additional information supplied by Gary Fitzpatrick and Michael Caldwell
Can you tell us more about Douglas Jones'? Some additional facts, a small story handed down through the family or perhaps a picture or an heirloom you can share online. Contact our curator...