This is Dundee's story of those that served in the First World War, and of the people left at home
- Date of enlistment:
- Place of enlistment:
- Service no: Clyde Z/478
- Rank: Able Seaman
- Regiment/Service: Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve
- Unit/Ship: Collingwood Battalion, R.N. Div
- Place of Death: Turkey/Gallipoli
- Age at Death: 20
- Date of Death: 04.06.1915
- Burial Country: Turkey/Gallipoli
- Cemetery: Helles Memorial
- Grave/Mem Ref no: Panel 8 to 15
- Date of Birth:
- Place of Birth:
- Address: 287 Hilltown, Dundee
Jessie Manzie, 58 Victoria Rd, Dundee
More about William Manzie
William has no known grave but is remembered on the Helles Memorial.
William Manzie CZ/478 Collingwood Bn R.N.D.
MANZIE—A.B. William, 478, Royal Naval Division, Collingwood Battalion. Reported missing at Dardanelles since 19th June, 1915. His sister, Miss Jessie Manzie, 58 Victoria Road, Dundee, would thank any comrades for news.
Dundee Courier 29th November 1915
MANZIE—In loving memory of our dear brother William Manzie, who was killed in action on 4th June 1915, aged 20. Inserted by his sisters.
Dundee People’s Journal 19th June 1917
Additional information kindly supplied by Michael Caldwell
Can you tell us more about William Manzie? Some additional facts, a small story handed down through the family or perhaps a picture or an heirloom you can share online. Contact our curator...