This is Dundee's story of those that served in the First World War, and of the people left at home
- Date of enlistment:
- Place of enlistment: Arbroath
- Service no: 1369
- Rank: Private
- Service Occupation: Signaller
- Regiment/Service: Black Watch
- Unit/Ship: 5th Battalion,
- Place of Death: Aubers Ridge
- Age at Death: 28
- Date of Death: 09/05/1915
- Burial Country: France
- Cemetery: Le Trou Aid Post Cemetery, Fleurbaix
- Grave/Mem Ref no: F.10
- Date of Birth:
- Place of Birth: Arbroath
- Address: 41 John Street, Artbroath
- Occupation: Boot Finisher, Colin Grants Boot Factory, Arborath
Mrs Christina Guthrie Kell, 59 Hill Street, Dundee
More about John Maxwell
Private John Maxwell was killed in action by shrapnel at Aubers Ridge on 9th May 1915 when leaving a trench at nightfall.
Additional information kindly supplied by Derek Robertson.
Can you tell us more about John Maxwell'? Some additional facts, a small story handed down through the family or perhaps a picture or an heirloom you can share online. Contact our curator...