This is Dundee's story of those that served in the First World War, and of the people left at home
George Dawson McGregor
- Date of enlistment: February 1917
- Place of enlistment: Dundee
- Service no: S/19980
- Rank: Private
- Regiment/Service: Gordon Highlanders
- Unit/Ship: 1st Battalion
- Place of Death: France
- Age at Death: 20
- Date of Death: 23.08.1918
- Burial Country: France
- Cemetery: Vis-En-Artois Memorial
- Grave/Mem Ref no: Panel 10
- Date of Birth:
- Place of Birth: Forgan, Fife
- Address: 11 Cardean St, Dundee
- Occupation: Grocer, Mr Johnston, Hawkhill, Dundee
Mary McGregor, 11 Cardean St, Dundee
More about George Dawson McGregor
George has no known grave but is remembered on the Vis-En-Artois Memorial.
George D. MacGregor S/19980 Gordon Highlanders
Young Gordon Killed.
Mrs MacGregor, 11 Cardean Street, has been officially notified that her son, Pte. George D. MacGregor, Gordon Highlanders, was killed in action on 23rd August. Prior to joining the army in February, 1917, Pte. MacGregor was employed as a grocer by Mr Johnston, Hawkhill. He was in his 20th year.
Dundee Courier 14th September 1918
Additional information kindly supplied by Michael Caldwell
Can you tell us more about George Dawson McGregor? Some additional facts, a small story handed down through the family or perhaps a picture or an heirloom you can share online. Contact our curator...