This is Dundee's story of those that served in the First World War, and of the people left at home
- Date of enlistment:
- Place of enlistment: Dundee
- Service no: 30598
- Rank: Private
- Regiment/Service: Highland Light Infantry
- Unit/Ship: 16th Battalion
- Place of Death: France
- Age at Death: 20
- Date of Death: 31.03.1917
- Burial Country: France
- Cemetery: Cerisy-Gailly Military Cemetery
- Grave/Mem Ref no: I.D.31.
- Date of Birth:
- Place of Birth: Dundee
- Address: 11 Larch Street, Dundee
- Occupation: Mill Worker, Dudhope Works, Dundee
More about John McKernan
John McKernan 30598 Highland Light Infantry
DUNDEE SOLDIER DIES.
Intimation has been received by his parents, who reside at 11 Larch Street, Dundee, of the death in France from pneumonia of Pte. John McKernan, of the Highland Light Infantry.
Pte. McKernan, who was 20 years of age, enlisted about a year ago, and had been in France for six months. In civil life he was employed as a millworker in Dudhope Works.
Dundee Courier 24th May 1917
Additional information and image kindly supplied by Michael Caldwell
Can you tell us more about John McKernan? Some additional facts, a small story handed down through the family or perhaps a picture or an heirloom you can share online. Contact our curator...