This is Dundee's story of those that served in the First World War, and of the people left at home
- Date of enlistment:
- Place of enlistment:
- Service no: 22727
- Rank: Private
- Awards: 1914/1915 Star trio
- Regiment/Service: Royal Scots
- Unit/Ship: 11th Battalion
- Place of Death: Somme
- Age at Death: 22
- Date of Death: 14/07/1916
- Burial Country: France
- Cemetery: Thiepval Memorial
- Grave/Mem Ref no: Pier and Face 6D and 7D
- Date of Birth:
- Place of Birth:
- Address: 29 Rosefield Street, Dundee
- Occupation: Second Overseer, Messers A.P Mathewson & Co.
More about William Menzies
DUNDEE ROYAL SCOT KILLED IN ACTION. Official intimation has been received by Mrs Menzies, 29 Rosefield Street, Dundee, that her son, Private W. Menzies, Royal Scots, was killed in action on 14th July. Private Menzies, who was 22 years of age, enlisted fifteen months ago, and was at the front for about ten months. He was formerly employed as a second overseer by Messrs A. P. Mathewson & Co., Grove Mills, Dundee. He had been with that firm for seven years, and gave up a good position to do his “bit.” The Courier, Monday, 14 August 1916, 4.
Additional information kindly supplied by Gary Fitzpatrick
Can you tell us more about William Menzies? Some additional facts, a small story handed down through the family or perhaps a picture or an heirloom you can share online. Contact our curator...