This is Dundee's story of those that served in the First World War, and of the people left at home
- Date of enlistment: 13.06.1916
- Place of enlistment: Maryborough, Queensland
- Service no: 5866
- Rank: Private
- Service Occupation:
- Regiment/Service: Australian Infantry
- Unit/Ship: 26th Battalion
- Place of Death: France
- Age at Death: 26
- Date of Death: 01 April 1918
- Burial Country: France
- Cemetery: Outtersteene Communal Cemetery Extension, Bailleul
- Grave/Mem Ref no: II. C. 2.
- Date of Birth:
- Place of Birth: Dundee
- Address: Maryborough, Queensland
- Occupation: Farm Labourer
Margaret Moyles Montgomery, Hay’s Land, Invergowrie
More about John Montgomery
John enlisted on 13 June 1916, aged 23y 11m, and embarked on HMAT Boonah at Brisbane 21 Oct 1916. His name appears on the City of Dundee WWI Roll of Honour (ID No.2891). Additional sources: Australian War Memorial and Army Record in National Archives of Australia.
Johns mother was Margaret Moyles Montgomery of Hay’s Land, Invergowrie, Dundee, Scotland.
For more information on John, visit John’s Service Record.
Can you tell us more about John Montgomery'? Some additional facts, a small story handed down through the family or perhaps a picture or an heirloom you can share online. Contact our curator...