This is Dundee's story of those that served in the First World War, and of the people left at home
- Date of enlistment:
- Place of enlistment: Glasgow
- Service no: 10113
- Rank: Private
- Regiment/Service: King's Own Scottish Borderers
- Unit/Ship: 1st Battalion
- Place of Death: Turkey/Gallipoli
- Age at Death:
- Date of Death: 26.04.1915
- Burial Country: Turkey/Gallipoli
- Cemetery: Helles Memorial
- Grave/Mem Ref no: Panel 85 to 93 or 220 to 222
- Date of Birth:
- Place of Birth: Sligo
- Address: 12 Dens Brae, Dundee
Mrs Murphy, 16 Crescent Lane, Dundee
More about John Murphy
John has no known grave but is remembered on the Helles Memorial. He was also known as John Patrick Armstrong.
DUNDEE BORDERER MISSING.
Mrs Murphy, 16 Crescent Lane, Dundee, has received intimation that her son, Private John Murphy, 1st K.O.S.B., has been missing since 29th May.
Private Murphy has served seven years with the colours, and was doing garrison duty in India when war was declared.
A younger brother of Pte. Murphy is also doing his duty for his country, he having joined the 4th Black Watch in November last.
Dundee Courier 16th June 1915
Additional information kindly supplied by Michael Caldwell
Can you tell us more about John Murphy? Some additional facts, a small story handed down through the family or perhaps a picture or an heirloom you can share online. Contact our curator...