This is Dundee's story of those that served in the First World War, and of the people left at home
John Ernest Robertson
- Date of enlistment: February 1915
- Place of enlistment: Dundee
- Service no: 13490
- Rank: Private
- Regiment/Service: Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders
- Unit/Ship: 14th Battalion
- Place of Death: Beauchamp, Villers-Plouich
- Age at Death: 20
- Date of Death: 24.04.1917
- Burial Country: France
- Cemetery: Fifteen Ravine British Cemetery, Villers-Plouich
- Grave/Mem Ref no: V.C.12.
- Date of Birth: 05.09.1896
- Place of Birth: 20 Nelson St, Dundee
- Address: 13 Wellington Street, Dundee
- Occupation: Chartered Accountant, Alexander Tosh & Son, Reform St, Dundee
Catherine Robertson nee Chalmers
David Nicol Robertson, 42 Forfar Rd, Dundee
William, Dora, Janie & Lizzie
More about John Ernest Robertson
John was the brother of Pte William Bertie Robertson 37071, 1/4th Battalion, Essex Regiment who was killed in action 03.11.1917.
John Ernest Robertson 13490 Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders
GALLANT DUNDEE SOLDIER FALLS.
“He proved himself to be made of the right stuff,” was the tribute an officer paid to Private J. Ernest Robertson, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, younger son of Mr D. N. Robertson, 42 Forfar Road, Dundee, who was killed in action on 24th April. In informing Mr Robertson of his son’s death, the officer adds :–“He was a gallant soldier, and it was in the thickest of the fight that he fell.”
Deceased, who was twenty years of age, answered the call in February, 1915, and had been about twelve months in France. He was in the office of Messrs Alexander Tosh & Son, chartered accountants, Reform Street, when he left to join the colours. Mr Robertson’s elder son, who is in the Essex Regiment, has left for a theatre of war.
Dundee Courier 10th May 1917
Additional Information kindly supplied by Sheila Jelley & Michael Caldwell.
Can you tell us more about John Ernest Robertson? Some additional facts, a small story handed down through the family or perhaps a picture or an heirloom you can share online. Contact our curator...