This is Dundee's story of those that served in the First World War, and of the people left at home
- Date of enlistment:
- Place of enlistment: Dundee
- Service no: 17322
- Rank: Private
- Regiment/Service: Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)
- Unit/Ship: 2nd Battalion
- Place of Death: Belgium
- Age at Death: 20
- Date of Death: 09.05.1915
- Burial Country: Belgium
- Cemetery: Ploegsteert Memorial
- Grave/Mem Ref no: Panel 5
- Date of Birth:
- Place of Birth: Dundee
- Address: Wester Clepington House, Strathmartine Rd, Dundee
- Occupation: Bleachfield Worker, Boase & Co Ltd, Claverhouse, Dundee
More about Alexander Scott
Alexander has no known grave but is remembered on the Ploegsteert Memorial.
YOUNG DUNDEE SOLDIER KILLED IN ACTION.
Mrs Scott, Wester Clepington House, Strathmartine Road, Dundee, has received intimation from the Record Office, Hamilton, that her son, Pte. Alexander Scott, of the 2nd Scottish Rifles, was killed in action at Fromelles on 9th inst.
Twenty years of age, Pte. Scott joined the rifles in December, and left for the front only on 16th March. Before enlisting he was employed as a bleacher with Boase & Co., Ltd., Claverhouse.
Dundee Courier 27th May 1915
Additional information and image kindly supplied by Michael Caldwell
Can you tell us more about Alexander Scott? Some additional facts, a small story handed down through the family or perhaps a picture or an heirloom you can share online. Contact our curator...