This is Dundee's story of those that served in the First World War, and of the people left at home
- Date of enlistment: November 1916
- Place of enlistment: Dundee
- Service no: S/16470
- Rank: Private
- Regiment/Service: Seaforth Highlanders
- Unit/Ship: 8th Battalion
- Place of Death: France
- Age at Death: 38
- Date of Death: 23.04.1917
- Burial Country: France
- Cemetery: Guemappe British Cemetery, Wancourt
- Grave/Mem Ref no: I.B.1.
- Date of Birth:
- Place of Birth: Leith
- Address: 9 Craigie Street, Dundee
- Occupation: Allan Robertson, Butcher & Game Dealer, Union St, Dundee
More about William Smith
William Smith S/16470 Seaforth Highlanders
DUNDEE SEAFORTH FALLS IN ACTION.
Mrs Wm. Smith, 9 Craigie Street, Dundee, has received official intimation that her husband, Private William Smith, Seaforth Highlanders, had been killed in action on 23rd April.
Private Smith, who was 38 years of age, joined the colours in November last, and had only been a short time at the front. In civil life he was employed with Mr Allan Robertson, butcher and game dealer, Union Street.
Dundee Courier 1st June 1917
Additional information kindly supplied by Michael Caldwell
Can you tell us more about William Smith? Some additional facts, a small story handed down through the family or perhaps a picture or an heirloom you can share online. Contact our curator...