This is Dundee's story of those that served in the First World War, and of the people left at home
- Date of enlistment: 24.09.1914
- Place of enlistment: Helena Vale, W.A.
- Service no: 473
- Rank: Private
- Regiment/Service: Australian Infantry
- Unit/Ship: 16th Battalion
- Place of Death: Turkey/Gallipoli
- Age at Death: 36
- Date of Death: 02.05.1915
- Burial Country: Turkey/Gallipoli
- Cemetery: Lone Pine Memorial
- Grave/Mem Ref no: Panel 57
- Date of Birth:
- Place of Birth: Dundee
- Occupation: Fireman
Jane Stewart Thorpe, 31 Dura St, Dundee
William Thorpe, 31 Dura St, Dundee
James, Joseph & Mary
More about John Thobe/Thorpe
John has no known grave but is remembered on the Lone Pine Memorial. For more information on John, visit John’s Service Record.
John was the brother of Trimmer James Thorpe, H.MS. Stephen Furness, who was killed in action 13.12.1917 when his ship was torpedoed and sunk by a German Submarine.
Both men are remembered on a family Gravemarker within Dundee’s Eastern Cemetery with the surname of “THOBE” although all official records record them as “THORPE”
Information supplied by Gary Thomson.
Can you tell us more about John Thobe/Thorpe? Some additional facts, a small story handed down through the family or perhaps a picture or an heirloom you can share online. Contact our curator...