This is Dundee's story of those that served in the First World War, and of the people left at home
James Albert Whiteley
- Date of enlistment: April 1915
- Place of enlistment: Dundee
- Service no: 636033
- Rank: Driver
- Service Occupation:
- Regiment/Service: Royal Field Artillery
- Unit/Ship: 8th Brigade
- Place of Death: Isreal/Palestine
- Age at Death:
- Date of Death: 02.11.1918
- Burial Country: Isreal/Palestine
- Cemetery: Gazza War Cemetery
- Grave/Mem Ref no: XXVII.G.3.
- Date of Birth:
- Place of Birth: York, England
- Address: 62 Kinghorn Rd, Dundee
- Occupation: Anglo American Oil Company
Sister, 9 Bruce St, Dundee
More about James Albert Whiteley
- A. Whiteley 636033 R.F.A.
Driver J. A. Whiteley, R.F.A., whose sister resides at 9 Bruce Street, has died at Gaza from the effects of dysentery. Joining up in April, 1915, deceased had seen service in Mesopotamia and Egypt. Prior to enlisting he was employed with the Anglo American Oil Company. He was a native of Yorkshire, but had been in the city for eight years.
Dundee Courier 12th November 1918
Additional information kindly supplied by Michael Caldwell
Can you tell us more about James Albert Whiteley'? Some additional facts, a small story handed down through the family or perhaps a picture or an heirloom you can share online. Contact our curator...